08 September 2011

Batwing #1 - The Cradle of Civilization Review

Judd Winick’s first issue of Batwing goes above and beyond expectations cementing its place as one of the top titles in the new 52.

Upon first hearing about the new 52 Batwing was one of those titles that never grabbed my attention I had no real interest in picking it up, I had the impression it would be to similar to other Batman titles.
For that reason you may be wondering why I picked up the title and well it’s simple really, it was purely down to an impulse buy when I was picking up my other comics, I thought I might as well give this title a chance and for the reason it is related to other Batman titles.

I can say without any doubt that I am so glad I picked up this title not only did it exceed my expectations I enjoyed it much more over titles like Action Comics, this is not black Batman as it has been labelled as it is a very different book with a hugely different tone that sets it apart from other Batman titles that creates its own niche.

I can say without any doubt that I am so glad I picked up this title, not only did it exceed my expectations I enjoyed it over titles like Action Comics. This is not black Batman as it has been labelled this is a very different book with a hugely different tone that sets it apart from other Batman titles that creates its own niche. The title is dark gritty and violent painting a dark picture of Africa inhabited by gangs and warlords dealing in drugs and murder.

Batwings story and pacing is one of the books strongest qualities dealing with issues that bring the character to life for the reader we see the type of world he inhabits, the enemies he must confront, where he gets his equipment from and who he works with.

When it comes to art, Batwing excels in this degree the art captures the world and atmosphere perfectly managing to sell the reader on the world and characters in a gritty realistic yet stylised portrayal. The art is simply engaging sucking you in to the very end.

Final Thoughts
Batwing is a fantastic first issue that is a great introduction to the character and the world. Leaving the reader with an ending that makes the wait for issue two that much harder. Accompanied by amazing art throughout that sets the atmosphere and tone for the comic Batwing does a lot right and is worth picking up.


No comments:

Post a Comment