01 June 2011

DC Universe Reboot

With rumours circulating that the current Flashpoint story arc would lead to some kind of a reboot can now be put to rest as details have emerged on just what the future holds for the DC Universe.
The facts are that come September there will be 52 new #1 issues for each of the respecting titles such as The Justice League of America, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern to name a few. There is still more speculation about what direction this reboot will be taking, and what they will carry over from the current continuity

While I’m certainly interested in the reboot, wait I’ll rephrase that I’m excited to see what they do with the DC Universe but it will be sad to see the current continuity end especially how certain characters have evolved or how characters have been introduced. Going back to the beginning leaves the option of fixing many of the problems with conflicting continuity for some characters and allows for a more focused continuity? There are rumours that Blackest Night will still be canon, which puts a safe bet that the majority of the Green Lantern content will remain the same.

Personally, I hope key aspects of certain characters are carry over into the new continuity even if it means slight adjustment for certain events to make them feel fresh or to possibly take things in a new direction. A good example of this would be the death of Jason Todd, which is an integral part of the Batman character now this event could change a little to possibly make a better story but I believe fundamentals like this should remain.

With this reboot coming later this year it may change the way I collect comics, I have generally preferred collecting trades rather than the individuals issues for the pure fact that I don’t just read what is currently happening but what happened maybe ten years ago. An example would be when I started collecting Batman; I really wanted to get into the character so along with recent trades I would pick up stuff like the Long Halloween, the Knightfall Series, No man’s land, War Games etc.
As it will be starting over again I see this as the perfect opportunity to start collecting the single issues over the trades. I really don’t see any reason not to, count into fact that everything is getting rebooted at the same time it will make it much easier for myself to jump in to the stuff I want to read and it will probably get me in to a few different characters. This goes for the majority of comics book readers out there along with people who have been on the fence.

With all being said I’m very optimistic with what lies ahead for the DC Universe and comics in general, this could possibly help to entice new readers and while it will be sad to see an end in many ways to what we know and love I feel the future is bright for DC.

Jim Lee is at the helm for redesigning the cast of the DC Universe

No comments:

Post a Comment